Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects the colon (large intestine). Irritable bowel syndrome can commonly cause abdominal cramping and pain, bloating/gas, diarrhea and constipation. IBS does not cause permanent damage to your colon.
In many cases you can control the symptoms that are associated with IBS by changing your diet, lifestyle, and stress level.
FOODS TO AVOID
- Greasy, fatty, fried foods
- Fast food
- French fries
- Potato Chips
- Tomato-based products (salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, tomato juice
- Raw fruits and vegetables, especially lettuce.
- Caffeinated drinks (coffee, tea, colas)
- Dairy Products (milk, cheese, cottage cheese)
RECOMMENDED DIET AND LIFESTYLE
FIBER IS GOOD!
- All Bran
- Fiber One
- Bran Buds
- 100% Bran
- Fibercon Tablets (polycarbophil) 2 tablets per day
- Citrucel Powder (methylcellulose) 2 glasses per day
- Enteric coated peppermint tablets: 2 per day
- Chamomile tea
- Probiotics (lactobacilis)
- Exercise regularly
- Make time for enjoyable activities