Irritable bowel syndrome presents as a variety of symptoms that vary from person to person and often resemble the symptoms found in other diseases. Some of the most common symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS include:
- Abdominal pain or cramping
- Diarrhea, Constipation, or the alternation of both
- Mucus in the stool
CAUSES: A direct cause of irritable bowel syndrome is not currently known, but doctors have established that a variety of factors play a role in symptoms and their severity. Ultimately, if you suffer from IBS, the walls of your intestines have abnormal contractions that lead to the bloating, abdominal pain, gas, diarrhea and constipation.
TRIGGERS: A number of triggers can result in the onset of IBS symptoms, and those triggers differ by person. Increased stress, a variety of foods including chocolate, spices, fats, milk, carbonated beverages and alcohol, as well as hormones have all been linked to IBS symptoms.
If you are dealing with these symptoms, the providers at Utah Digestive Health Institute can help. Schedule your appointment today.
PREPARING FOR AN APPOINTMENT: It will greatly help our providers if you bring with you to your appointment the following:
- A list of the symptoms you’ve been experiencing and the length of time you’ve been dealing with them
- Any changes or stressors in your life
- List of key medical information
- Write down any questions you have